My period story




I was 13 years old and had just finished my annual exams, when one day I started bleeding. I was scared looking at the blood coming out from my body. Something did not feel right and I thought I fell ill. My mother noticed my agony and nonchalantly told me I had turned into a woman. She said whatever I was experiencing was a taboo and should not be discussed with anyone else. She did not explain what was happening with me. She explained how to use a sanitary pad but then it was referred to in code words. Months passed and slowly I got to learn about the cycle which would happen every month.

However, I was unable to manage my pain in the lower abdomen, but could not discuss it with anyone.

On those particular days, I used to stay in bed and didn't do anything. My dad observed my suffering. When I told him about my pain, he counselled me and put me on treatment for about 6 months. That helped me both mentally and physically.

Fast-forward to 2020, I'm close to 40 years now and mother of an adolescent girl. My child knows about periods quiet well. I have discussed with her about how a girl grows up and her school has also conducted sessions. I'm glad 'periods' is no more a taboo for her. But, I feel sad when I see people treating menstruating women as impure. I hope to see a 'periods' taboo free generation on this Menstruation Hygiene Day.


Comments