A never ending story




They say death comes as the end, but I believe it can never be an end for us. Our story began with my birth and in every step you, like a craftsman, carved me into a fine being. I thought my education was in school, but the real lessons in life came from you.

You told me to be independent. All your lessons instilled self-confidence and I believe it got me to where I am today.

You always made me feel special from childhood. Even in your busy schedule you took time to read my letters. I used to write them to you when I was angry with something. It was our little secret. All those words written and unwritten have been etched in my heart. You were my father, but more a friend to me.

I thought you were a tough person till the day I saw tears in your eyes. I met with an accident when I was 15, but you felt the pain.

In my adolescence, I often heard you say “Things are never as bad as they seem, things are never as good as they seem”. When I got a bad score, failed in the entrance exam, or got rejected in an interview, you were never angry. Instead, you asked me to relax as well and things would be better again.

When I started working, you said, “Work isn’t supposed to be fun. You work hard so you enjoy life with your family.”

One day I was sad because I didn’t have enough money. You told me money is not everything. Now, I’ve learned to be happy with or without it.

Even now in your absence, if I am able to go on in life it is because you taught me so. Once when I asked you to help me buy a property, you turned me down. I was angry with you. I remember each and every word I told you. You listened to me. I did not realize then that you were teaching me something…teaching me that you wouldn’t always be there to help. Next day, you gave me a blank cheque, but what you taught me that day is worth more than all the money in the world. Now, I don’t expect anything from anyone. I strive hard every day to be independent as you would have wanted me to be.

Only a few people know that you were employed as most of them know you as a doctor. You have always been a doctor…healing and helping people. When someone told you they were unwell, you went to meet them the next day with the medicines. You touched many lives. You always believed “health is wealth”.

As a child, I knew you were a good dad, but it was not until I became a parent that I realized how much your presence impacted my own parenting philosophies.

Today, you may not physically be with me anymore, but your teachings will always be there. I still remember every lesson you taught me and I will carry them with me till my death. But our story would still not end there. The baton of life will be carried forward by my daughter Siri and from her to the next generation.

Thank you for everything, Dad.


Comments